#ContactForm1{ display: none !important; }

5.05.2014

Timelessness, Ego and Spiritual Living

"Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have. "   ~Eckhart Tolle

I’ve been thinking a lot about living a more spiritual centered life lately.  In the past I thought that I had to rigidly follow a daily spiritual practice to “get connected”. Like exercise, I thought it was something I had to do to get into the flow.  But, recently I have come to realize that living a more spiritual centered life is more of an attitude and a way of approaching life. It’s not about forcing anything, it is about being.  Here’s what I’ve come to understand.

Timelessness

Yesterday I was listening to Eckhart Tolle and he was speaking about timelessness.  He described the essence of who we are as “eternal beings” and how the word eternal gives the wrong impression.  Connecting with the “timelessness” of being is much more powerful and truthful.  The place of timelessness is our spiritual center, it is being present in the moment.  And, in the moment times stands still, that is where the connection to spirit resides. I heard his words on a deep level and understood what he was saying.  It became clear to me that to live a more spirit centered life I would have to spend more time in the moment, being present in the timeless state of being. I also realized that I can find that place anytime I choose.  I am there right now as I am writing this.  I am completely present with this thought and these words and and it feels wonderful.  Time disappears and the present appears.  It happens anytime I let go of the past and all the concerns of the future and just allow myself to be in a place of stillness.  It doesn’t require any special place, equipment or ritual, it is only a breath away.  All it takes is surrender. Letting go, releasing the grasp on the perceived importance of reality and stepping into the present moment awareness.  it’s a fabulous place to be.

Ego

What keeps me from going there more frequently is my ego.  It is busy at work distracting me from that wonderful place of timelessness with all the needs it wants filled. Go here, go there, get this, buy that, worry about what other people think, money, family, friends, work, etc.  All the distractions that keep me disconnected.  I can get caught up with all that’s not working in my life or the pride about what is.  I can fantasize about all the things I want and become envious of others who have it.  The media fills my vision with all sorts of “stuff” that gets my attention and the wanting grows.  Even though I am aware of the pointlessness of this pursuit  and the truth that it is an illusion, knowing that my real happiness comes from the still place within, my ego pulls me towards it.  When I get caught up in my ego I become judgmental of others and even more so with myself.  It is becomes a place of pain, longing and suffering, far the blissful state of timelessness.  What a contrast!

Spiritual Center

Somewhere between these two places resides the peaceful balance and spiritual center that I am seeking.  Being human is all about polarity, opposites, that is what it means to be human, and why we’re here.  Expecting to stay completed connected to the timelessness state is unrealistic and honestly, would be boring. Being human I've got to get involved with a little bit of drama.  However, being completely wrapped up in the unending drama of the ego is totally distracting and exhausting.  I’d like to think that there is a place of balance and that’s where I’d like to start living.

It starts with awareness and openness.  Being a witness to both the timelessness and the ego drama.  Starting each day aware that the human experience is an adventure and to most fully live it is to stay disconnected from attachment.  Experience it and allow it to unfold without being attached to the outcome.  A delicate balance of letting go, yet allowing life to unfold.  That is the daily practice I want to experience.  The simplest way I have found to do that is with my breath.  It’s happening unconsciously every moment, but when I stop and consciously witness my breath, I get a brief connection with timelessness, enough to wake me up from the ego drama and release attachment. Honestly, it works!


Rev. Kathianne Lewis from the Center for Spiritual Living in Seattle spoke one Sunday about the Holy Spirit.  She said it is really breath -The Holy Breath.  It is the first and last thing we ever do in this human experience.  It connects us to something far greater.  Just becoming present with your holy breath is enough to transform any situation into a spiritual moment.  Along with breath, it’s a daily process of staying connected, detached and present all at the same time.  It’s a state of being, something I can do each day to help me connect to that peaceful, spiritual place that I am seeking.  It’s available in every breath.

Big Love,






P.S. A big thanks to my Meet Up buddies for exploring the topic of Spirituality and helping me get more clear on my beliefs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Message! I love hearing from you.