#ContactForm1{ display: none !important; }

2.11.2014

Day 20 Autoimmune Protocol

Twenty days ago I decided to take my health in my own hands.  I had to face the reality that I had an autoimmune disease and after nearly 30 years of treating the symptoms, it was time to treat the cause. So I began the Autoimmune Protocol.  

Here I am on Day 1 and then today, Day 20!  

The Autoimmune Protocol I follow is based on eliminating foods that contribute to leaky gut and ultimately inflammation.  Gluten, dairy, sugar, nuts, seeds, legumes, eggs, nightshades, and processed foods are eliminated for a minimum of 30 days.  Then one by one foods are re-introduced and I’ll see how my body reacts. With the exception of sugar, processed foods and gluten.  Those will always be out!  I’m still in the elimination phase and learning more about the protocol each day. 

The amazing thing is how much better I feel after just 20 days.  I have more energy, less bloating, my thinking is more clear, and I have no cravings at all.  I have been exercising, walking five days a week.  My sleep is much better and I wake up feeling rested and energized.  It’s hard to believe that food can make so much difference.

As I move forward on this journey I know I will gain a better understanding of the protocol, which is about more than just food.  It’s about reducing stress, getting proper sleep and for me, healing the issues in my life that led me into this dis-ease.  I am also learning how my own body works, things I should have known years ago. Spending so many years stuck in the diet mentality did a lot of damage. I’ve been out of touch with my body for a long time. 

You might me wondering if it’s hard to give up so many foods. Actually it has been pretty easy.  When I really understood that my Hashimoto’s was never going to get any better, and that the inflammation was just going to get worse, UNLESS I stopped the process, it was pretty easy to give up the food.  You see, I want to live.  And I want to feel good while I’m doing it.  My desire to be healthy and healed became greater than I my need to eat bread and pie.  At least for today.  And that’s how I’m doing this.  One day at a time.


Becoming Zia is an interesting journey.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/11/2014

    what a huge difference in just 20 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zia you can really see the change! You have a neck! Your face is much less puffy and red. Its working!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. I'm feeling so much better.

      Delete
  3. Hi Zia, I am wondering if you could share what things you eat. I already have many issues with foods. I can't have any gluten, dairy, yeast, vinegar, or GMO corn/soy. But the organic doesn't bother me of those two. I feel like I can barely eat anything now. I do have a little lean meat on occassion but don't indulge because I know it isn't good for me. The organic free range is so expensive and I have a large family. So if I cut out beans and eggs and the like, I have so little to eat. Can you tell me what kinds of things you eat? I also live an extremely busy life. I run two households. My sister passed away a few months ago leaving me 3 babies to care for while her fiance works. So I drive 2 hours a day caring for them and then back for my own house... back and forth back and forth... so I need easy meals because I don't have a lot of time to shop or be in the kitchen. Your ideas would help so much. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, Sounds like your hands are full. So sorry to hear about your sister. You have a lot of responsibility. Plus having to deal with autoimmune problem on top of that is a lot to handle. But, taking care of your health is important. Making time for eating well is vital to your well being. I would love to be able to give you some answers but I only have to cook for myself and usually do large batch cooking once a week. I don't eat gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, legumes, nightshades, sugar or processed foods. So basically I eat meat, veggies, healthy oil and small amounts of fruit -avocado, green apples, green stem bananas or grapefruit. I follow the Autoimmune Protocol as described my The Paleo Mom. If you follow her on Facebook she posts recipes most everyday. That might help you. Each of our bodies are different and it may take some time for you to work out what foods work best for you. Good luck! All my best, Zia

      Delete
  4. Hi Zia, I read your blog and I was wondering if you could share with me the types of things you eat. This diet is so restrictive... and I have so little time in the kitchen... can you share ideas of things you eat with so little food choices? Is there anything you use to help you along... a specific cookbook or anything like that? Thank you!! By the way, CONGRATULATIONS on your success!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difference in your appearance. Looks like even after only 20 days, that food plan is making a difference. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I am feeling better everyday.

      Delete

Leave a Message! I love hearing from you.