#ContactForm1{ display: none !important; }

2.21.2014

Balancing Brain Chemistry for Mental Wellness


Last month was Mental Wellness Month.  I just found out.  Perfect timing for a post about my own journey.  Mental wellness is something that I am striving to achieve.  As a matter of fact I am working with my naturopathic doctor to balance my brain chemistry. It's a new science and doesn't involve pharmaceuticals.  I have committed to a three month program that requires I take three different types of amino acids in a variety of combination, four times a day. The ultimate goal is to balance my chemicals (neurotransmitters). With my history of living with stress, substance abuse and hormone imbalance I am a prime candidate for out of whack brain chemistry. And, it has been playing out in variety of ways —sleep problems, anxiety, digestion issues, sugar addiction, depression, etc.   Here is some information about the Brain Wellness Program from Neurogistics that I found online that describes it pretty well.

NEUROTRANSMITTERS are the brain chemicals that communicate information throughout our brain and body.  They relay signals between nerve cells, called “neurons.”  The brain uses neurotransmitters to tell your heart to beat, your lungs to breathe, and your stomach to digest.  They can also affect mood, sleep, concentration, weight, and can cause adverse symptoms when they are out of balance. Neurotransmitter levels can be depleted many ways.  As a matter of fact, it is estimated that 86% of Americans have suboptimal neurotransmitter levels.  Stress, poor diet, neurotoxins, genetic predisposition, drugs (prescription and recreational), alcohol and caffeine usage can cause these levels to be out of optimal range. 

It is also a contributing factor to the environment of inflammation that exists in my body that can play a role in my Hashimoto’s disease.   It is the combination of healing my leaky gut and balancing my brain chemistry that I am hoping will put my Hashimoto’s into remission.  That’s the goal!  

The leaky gut is being balanced by following the Autoimmune Protocol.  That protocol calls for eliminating a variety of foods for 30-90 days, reducing stress and developing quality sleep habits. It seemed a bit severe at first, but it gets easier and easier to follow as the days pass. Once the body is free from possible allergens, then one by one eliminated foods can be tested and re-introduced.  Some foods, like gluten, sugar and processed foods must be eliminated permanently.  It has to be a new way of life.  A choice for health.

Since I had my awakening as Zia and recognized that I had to face the autoimmune dis-ease that I have been ignoring for over 20 years, lots of wonderful information and resources have come my way.  It is empowering to take the lead in managing my own health and developing a plan for healing that feels right.  I am filled with hope and gratitude! 


With a little bit of brain chemistry balancing and some healing of my leaky gut, I’m on the road to wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Message! I love hearing from you.