#ContactForm1{ display: none !important; }

3.19.2014

Goal Setting for Creative Types


Setting Goals - Creative ApproachAt the end of last year I attended a goal setting workshop. It was very interesting and I was happy to explore my vision for 2014 as Zia. The instructor, Ryan, was great, but her methods were more left brained than mine and I was having a hard time following her process, but I really wanted to! I struggled for a few meetings. One weekend I was watching a Hallmark holiday movie and saw something that inspired me to look at the entire process differently. (Inspiration comes in the most interesting places!) 
creative play

I
 realized that for goal setting to work for me I had to do something that engaged the artist in me. So I made a plan. Taking all the info that I complied during the class, I mind mapped my goals for 2014. Once I knew where I was headed I gathered my supplies. I bought a Canson Mixed-Media sketchbook and a few Pentel Aquash Water Brush Pens. I dug out my Caran d'Ache Neocolor II watercolor crayons, a big eraser, a pencil and a fine point Sharpie.
"Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible." -Tony Robbins

"Lightness of Being 2014 Goals" I wrote on the first page of the sketch book. (Lightness of Being is my theme for the year.)  In the center of the page I drew a big abstract design and on the facing page I wrote the list of my top 10 goals.  I then divided the abstract design into ten random shapes and wrote my goals in each section. It looked like a coloring book.

During the class Ryan asked us to break down our yearly goals by the month and then by the week.  This seemed overwhelming to me, but once I designed this coloring book idea I began to see how I could do it.  I started a new two-page spread.  On the first side I wrote January and on the other I drew another abstract image.  I listed the things I wanted to accomplish in January by number and then divided the drawing up into that many sections and numbered them.  When I accomplished a goal I could color it in.  Then I took it a step further and made Weekly Goals. I did it the same way.  I looked at the goals for the month and broke them down into tasks for the week. I wrote a list of things to do for the week and drew a design on the opposite page.  Is this sounding a bit crazy or a lot of work?  Maybe at first, but now that I have been doing it for three months, I am loving it!

Here's a look at my March process so far:


goals, goal setting, art journal, visual goal setting


Taking the big picture and breaking it down into doable bits is rewarding and satisfying.  Plus, I am moving closer and closer to accomplishing my goals.  All the while, I get to play with color and have fun while I'm at it.   I keep it on my desk so that I am conscious of my goals everyday.  In the morning I review it, and at the end of the day I color in what I have completed and review what I need to do before the weeks end. Each week is a new adventure.

For me, this method suits my style and motivates me to keep moving forward.  The key is finding something that works to transform thoughts into actions and actions into reality.

Thanks for letting me share my process with you.

Zia

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!!!! I'm loving this! I think it will be a good process for those of us who want to shake up the creative cobwebs, too! I love how you problem solved to make a process that fed you! Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Message! I love hearing from you.