#ContactForm1{ display: none !important; }

6.05.2014

Cleaning Green Beans and Remembering my Grandmother

Memories And Meaning


Yesterday, as I was standing at the sink cleaning green beans I remembered my Grandma Amy.  When I was a little girl she would let me help her clean green beans.  She would take the bag of beans and a big bowl and we would go on the patio and sit and snap off the ends and talk. She always listened to me and we talked like it was the most important thing she had to do all day! I remember it so vividly.  Doing that with her made me feel like I was part of preparing the meal, but more importantly she made me feel special and important. She did lots of things like that.  She was an awesome grandma. She holds a special place in my heart.  

As I was preparing dinner for my granddaughters and family,  I thought about what things they would remember doing with me.  What had I taught them. How have I made them feel import and special.  I wasn’t trying to be specific, it was just a thought.  Because I know there are lots of things like that we share.  Many things.  Who knows what I’ve done with them that will stick in there minds and one day when I'm long gone something will remind them of me.  Something we shared, and I will be part of that moment.  It made me feel good.  It’s a heart print.

A old high school friend of mine posted two pictures on Facebook this week - one of her and her grandmother at our graduation from high school.  The second was a picture last weekend of her and her granddaughter at graduation.  A time flash. It made me melancholy.  We graduated the same year, we are now both grandmas.  How did the time go by so fast?  Thankfully I have a several years before my granddaughters graduate from high school.  But, it was one of those moments. 

Being a grandmother is a role I take on with reverence and joy.  It is something I cherish and work at because of my grandmother.  She showed me the power of unconditional love and that’s what I want to share with my granddaughters.  I can still hear her laugh and see her sweet smile and it warms my heart, yet brings a tear to my eye. I would love to spend one more day with her. 

I want to be that kind of grandma!

Funny how something as mundane as cleaning green beans can become a cherished moment!

Big love,





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Message! I love hearing from you.