#ContactForm1{ display: none !important; }

1.11.2014

Carrie Bradshaw and I, We’re Writers

Today I joined the High Desert Writers Club. I figured if I was going to call myself a writer, then I should hang out with other writers. On my way there I posted my status on Facebook. I was surprised and happy when I got a comment from an old high school friend Debby Graves.  She and I used to write for our school newspaper.  Back then we were always looking for a writing angle that would raise eyebrows and open peoples minds.  It had been lots of fun for us.  Today on Facebook she asked if I remembered that we used to write for the paper.  When I read it I smiled, of course I did, how could I forget.  As a matter of fact, just last week I had written about it in my book.  Here’s a snippet.

It didn’t take me long to get ready, pack the car and get going. Once on the road I continued listening to the Carrie Diaries audio book.  It was a good way to pass the time and quiet my mind. I really needed the distraction. Listening to the story of young Carrie was actually kind of fun and I fantasied about what it would be like to be young, free, and living in NYC. She was just starting her life as a writer, finding it hard to call herself one.  Then, I realized that when I was seventeen I was writing too.  I worked on the school newspaper, I had all through high school.  Even had a weekly column called “Rapping with the Rovers.” My friend Debby and I would would go around campus asking kids the question of the week, usually something provocative. It was great! Back than I had dreamed of going to  college, getting a degree in journalism and being a reporter. I laughed out loud. That hadn’t worked out, at all! Suddenly, it occurred to me that I was having a rebirth, and I could start new. Like Carrie, I could take my writing seriously and call myself a writer.  Zia Poe was a writer!  Again, I laughed out loud. A do-over at 58 years old.  Was that possible?  I didn’t have to go to college,  or prove to anyone I could write, I knew I could write.  After all, I did have a book nearly completed that I had shelved months ago. I also had a children’s book I’d started. Yes, I could be like Carrie, only since this was a do-over, I had lots of wisdom to bring to my new beginning.  It felt exciting to think about.  Writing had been my first love. I had never stopped writing, but I had just never taken it seriously.  Maybe it was time.  Zia Poe, the writer.  Um. Now that was something to think about.

2 comments:

  1. You are an amazing writer, Zia, and I look forward to reading the things you write!
    Marti:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marti. I am glad someone is out there reading them! I appreciate you so much.

      Delete

Leave a Message! I love hearing from you.